Saturday 22 January 2011

Mandy and her butterscotch sauce

Along with fairy cakes and caramel, my other great childhood success was butterscotch sauce. I don't like butterscotch sweets very much so I was always surprised at how good this tasted. 


My best friend Mandy had the most awesome recipe which she shared with me when we were about 13 years old. She copied it out for me in her best writing on a piece of pretty notepaper. I have never rewritten it because I really like still having the original piece of paper she gave me. 





















Ingredients: 
1/2 cup golden syrup
1/2 cup cream
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup caster sugar

Equipment: Double boiler saucepan; if you don't have one, use a bowl that fits tightly on top of a saucepan and fill the saucepan beneath with hot water. 












Place the double boiler on a low heat, the lower saucepan one third full of water. In the upper saucepan, combine all ingredients, stirring gently. 
























Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. How easy is that?






























Pour the sauce into a glass screw top jar and put it into the fridge for a few hours to thicken.


I used Bonne Maman jam jars because I love the gingham-pattern lids (and I love the jam that comes in them too).


Warm it to room temperature to serve. 

You can keep this almost indefinitely if you keep it in the fridge and sterilise the jar before putting the sauce in. You could also freeze it I guess - in fact it would be awesome swirled through icecream and then frozen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment