This was the bunny model that I started off with. I have to tell you that I have no idea where this bunny came from. He's been sitting on top of my computer terminal at work for about a year and my best guess is that I found him by chance somewhere and installed him in his work position because of his goofy teeth and ridiculous ears. I love the lil guy.
So I set about trying to copy him in fondant. Here are my tools - the bunny, a box of premixed fondant, cornflour in a shaker, and some brown gel colouring.
What can I say except that modelling the bunny was somewhat harder than I thought it would be? I ended up with Frankenstein Bunny. His ears were kooky, his teeth were massive and crooked, his stature was small and his eyes were just plain crazy. A friend suggested to me that perhaps this was the Easter Bunny having delivered his eggs and tucked into the leftover Christmas brandy.
Time to try again. This time I thought strategically. Bunny needed to be simpler. Two balls of brown fondant, onew for his head and one for his tummy; Two ears made regular with cutters; a better, 'bunnier' nose; and less mad eyes. I started by using a tiny elliptical cutter for the ears. The cutter is about 12mm long.
I then used the same cutter with some pink fondant, but cut each elliptical piece of pink vertically so it was only half the width of the brown piece. I flattened out the brown piece by hand, stuck the pink piece in the middle of it with a touch of water, and inserted a 1cm length of florist's wire at the base so that I would be able to attach the earts to the bunny's head. I left these to dry sitting at the edge of a piece of foam so they would curve inwards slightly at the top.
The little darling was looking a bit porky, but I pressed on. I made two little arms and stuck them around his body with water. I gave him black pupils, floral wire whiskers and attached his ears before giving him a little tufty tail (not seen here) made of white fondant.