Friday 1 February 2013

Cupcaking our way to Bushfire Recovery

This summer there were terrible bushfires in Tasmania, the lovely island I call home, and many people were left without homes, stock, fencing or other basic needs that many of us take for granted. Fortunately Tasmanians (and Australians in general) are a generous bunch, and fundraising began immediately to try to help out those in need.
As I pondered the fires, the following image came into my head:
 Yes, I thought of piggywig cupcakes.

I thought specifically of how piggywig cupcakes might be able to raise a bit of money for bushfire recovery.

And I came up with a charity cupcake workshop!











And so I found myself in the office meeting room (kindly donated for the purpose by the boss) this Saturday, with a fantastic group of people who wanted to contribute some funds to the bushfire recovery whilst learning how to decorate cupcakes.
 

In addition to piggywigs, I thought it would be fun to make some elephants....

....And some tigers.
The workshop went very well, largely because everyone was united in a common goal. We spent two very detailed hours doing our cupcaking - this is Alice doing some very careful work on tiger whiskers.
I suddenly realised to my horror that the scheduled time was up, and we were only halfway through the tiger! It seemed cruel to leave the little fella unfinished, so we worked on for another 20 minutes or so to get him finished.
 
And then there was much rejoicing.

This is me taking a photo of Peta, who is taking a photo of her piggywig.














This is Gail displaying her three finished cupcakes - they looked fantastic!
















And this is the lovely Charys, one of the youngest participants, who did incredibly well with her cupcakes, and was the fastest worker out of all of us.















Thanks to everybody who participated - together with Piggywig, Elephant and Tiger, we raised $460 for bushfire relief!

Keep cupcaking!

Dr Cupcake

















No comments:

Post a Comment